negative impact of proposed Sydney Modern
The Hunters Hill Trust objects to the proposed extension to the Art Gallery of NSW for the following reasons:
- Its construction requires the removal of invaluable parkland adjacent to the Royal Botanic Gardens, which also is an integral part of green curtilage around the existing Art Gallery building
- With its alien forms the proposal is an inappropriate architectural response to the fine Art Gallery building
- As well as destroying green space it blocks out the views of existing building from the east
- It has a detrimental impact on the approaches to Mrs Macquarie’s chair and the east entrance to the Botanical Gardens
- Its location next to the existing gallery in the CBD represents a lost opportunity to decentralise the important cultural role that the gallery plays in the artistic life of Sydney.
Read our submission about the proposed development and NSW Planning and Assessment Commission.