Following last Monday’s Council meeting and your impassioned plea for more sporting facilities in Boronia Park, I was wondering whether in making that plea were you representing the views of SHHMC?
Also I was also concerned about the figures you used in your argument. You are quoted in the Northern District Times – “Boronia Park is 80 percent natural bushland and 20 percent recreational land and only about 12 percent is the sporting ovals”. Attached for your information is a the map of Boronia Park that relates to the PoM. I have overlaid the map with the area taken up by the ovals, their surrounds and part of the access road which is essential to their maintenance and which is sometimes used for parking during sports activities. According to my calculations all this represents approximately 31% of the site. If you add to this the cleared areas such as Findlays Paddock you get a total of around 45% of the site, which leaves only 55% of the site remaining. The 55% remainder is by no means “natural bushland” because it includes significant areas degraded by dumping in previous times and other partially cleared places. This makes your quoted figures of 80% “natural bushland” and 12% sporting ovals somewhat shy of the reality.
I also point out that in arguing for more amenities for the clubs you made a special plea based on the work they do for the local children. As someone who takes kids to and from soccer matches throughout the metropolitan area I am aware […]